Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Bees sweeten offenders

I did a double-take when I read this:
According to a 2001 study by the North Lawndale Employment Network, as many as 57 percent of the adults in North Lawndale were in prison, on probation or on parole, and the unemployment rate was 26 percent.
The good news is that it's bees to the rescue. Sweet Beginnings, a programme to help ex-offenders is to focus on beekeeping and has taught drug offender Rhonda Moore “good communication skills, how to work with others, retail, manufacturing, assembling, nature, how to grow food and deal with insects -- everything”.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rufus said...

I rewatched Rushmore by Wes Anderson this week. I had forgotten that there is a shot of Jason Swartzman as President of the "Rushmore Beekeeping Club" in his bee suit at the start of the movie. Somehow your post re-reminded me of that.

4:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home